Tuesday, March 22, 2011

The Secret of Life, Life is Good

"The secret of life, a growing number of researchers are telling us, isn't in the symbols of success, but in participation in experiences that stir you. That's where you have the best chance to increase your happiness."
~ Joe Robinson from his book, Don't Miss Your Life: Find More Joy & Fulfillment Now

Right on, Joe! I've managed to learn that much from life and that is precisely what is the guiding force behind this 1 year journey I have undertaken. To find what stirs me, jump in and see where it leads.

"Our culture is inundated with negative messages. It's fun to celebrate what's right with the world rather than what's wrong with it. More than that, it's healthy and it's really powerful."
~ Bert Jacobs, Co-owner with brother John Jacobs and Chief Executive Optimist of Life is good

I'm a huge fan of the Life is good casual clothing line. I'm also a fan of Bert & John for coming up with an idea so simple and so profound that it moves people with a positive force when they see it or wear it.

In 1994, after 5 years struggling to make a go of their fledgling self-designed t-shirt business and sleeping in their van, they were on the brink of throwing in the towel once and for all.

They would try one last time. With enough funds to print only 48 t-shirts, the brothers took a gamble with a new design: a simple smiling face with the words, "Life is good".

They took their new design to a street fair in Cambridge, Mass. where they sold out in 45 min.

Bert & John Jacobs' message struck a chord with people of all ages. That the simple things in life are what make life good and it's all around us.

Today they run a $100 million company available globally. They also have a charitable organization called Life is good Kids Foundation and hold Life is good Festivals annually.

Once the Jacobs brothers followed what was in their hearts, their true path became illuminated. 

 
Today
Laughter Yoga 30 min.
Meditation 20 min.
No more antibiotic

3 comments:

  1. YEAH! Love this, Mandie! Thanks for posting it. I'm inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm getting caught up on your blogs. What happened the last week? No blogging?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been sick for 2 weeks and I haven't had my desktop computer to write the blogs. I have a laptop, but it is terrible for writing - words jump out of sync while you're trying to write a sentence. Half you're sentence will suddenly move to another line. I couldn't handle that frustration while I was sick.

    I have been doing laughter yoga and meditating everyday. I'll be catching-up on blogging this week.

    Go Kayaking with me, then we can get breakfast - we'll have fun!

    ReplyDelete